What the h - e - double hockey sticks is a cam bolt? And who the flip is Alan? Let him know I have his wrench, will ya. You can also let him know what he can do with his stinkin' wrench!
Word spent the last three hours trying to put together one of those stupid put-together computer desks. It broke. Or rather, I broke it. Putrid thing. Eighty bucks and three hours of work for zip, nadda, zilch.
So I blog.
Today I read an article in the newspaper. I'm not talking about the advice columns. Although, I read those too. No, this was a real honest to goodness news story that hit a home run with me.
It involved a game of softball. A simple game between two college teams. An amazing game in which a young woman hit her first ever home run over the fence. As she began her trot around the bases, she missed touching first base. Realizing her mistake, she turned back to tap first but her knew buckled and she fell to the ground. Torn ACL. Couldn't move. Probably will never play another game in her college career. And, unless she goes around the bases, her homerun will go in the record books as a single.....Unless.......the opposing team helps her. They do. They carry this woman to second, third, and finally home. That's softball. Those are the kind of people that play the game. Did both teams want to win the game? You bet they did. Did both teams play their hardest in hopes of winning the game? You bet they did. Did both teams want to win a fair game? You bet they did. Would either team have been able to hold their head up and say they won fair and square if they stood by and said "tough noogies" to someone who had just blasted one out of the park only to crumble at first base with an injured knee? No they would not have.
There are days that I wish life was like softball.
Discuss...life...softball....putrid put-together-desks...
Word
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
11 comments:
Hey, welcome back at last. :^D
I'm proud to say these girls on the opposing team are from my home state, well the college is.
And they knew they were putting their own team out of the playoffs with their unselfish act, but they did not know that it was her first ever homerun in college. They also didn't know that as a senior, it was her last chance at one, due to the severity of the injury.
STrange rule, her team couldn't carry her around, but the rule said nothing about the opposing team.
Yeah, it got me a little teary eyed too, and not just 'cause it happened in Washington state. Because it gives me shred of hope for this ugly world.
By the way, they also asked her which was her good leg, and stopped at each base, and gently lowered her to let her touch it with her good foot.
Oh, and about the desk? One word: IKEA. Easy to put together, and still cheap. :^D
This story restores your faith. I saw the replay, too, but didn't realize at the time that it was a playoff game. I would imagine these girls will carry their good will and sportsmanship far longer than any victory could have provided. I predict they will all go far in life.
Sorry, no advice on the desk. We put together two of them when we moved, plus a bookcase, a printer stand and a credenza. Amazingly, we're still together!
To be totally honest with the whole sportsmanship story, I think it has something to do with the gender of the athletes. I have a hard to imagining guys doing something like that.
I guess having trouble putting together desks runs in the family. Yours truly had a desk top in a balanced position while working with another board and the desk top came a crashing down and took a big chunk of skin off my ankle. I'm still picking off some of the residual scabs.
mussel bound,
Thanks for stopping out! I totally agree with you. It did leave me feeling hopeful!
Unfortunately I see so much of the "reality tv" mentality going on in corporate america. Everybody out for themselves. Lie, cheat or steal to get there.
Then I read that article and I think, well thank goodness there are still those out there who know right from wrong and apply those ethics in ALL aspects of life.
The tip about IKEA! Yay you! I googled them and I like their stuff. I'm going to give them a go. Thanks for the tip.
Hey anonymous brother of mine! Good to know genetics play a roll in my inability to secure a cambolt. I swear those things leave me feeling like an idiot. Kind of like that scene in Breakfast Club where Anthony Michael Hall is crying because he failed shop.
I do also think that you would only see that kind of sportsmanship in womens sports. HOWEVER - I will go on record as saying not all women in sports would have stepped up like that team did. I've come up against plently who would have said "tough luck".
Hi Mary!
You are right! They will remember this game and have no regrets later in life.
These are the kind of people you want to know and work with.
So glad you could come out and say hi!
Take Care,
Word
Welcome back! Good to hear from you--I'm glad to see a new post. I was wondering if you were in Florida or something ;-).
I have come to hate those put together pieces of furniture, except that they are affordable and you don't have to hire Two Men and a Truck to schlep the piece from store to home. IKEA is a good idea. Their stuff is very simple and elegant but well made. But I do have scars from fumbling around with particle board miscellaneous, and a collection of allen wrenches of many different sizes.
I work with very competitive people, and it takes a great deal of character to set aside the ego to make something happen that is for the greater good, even if you yourself are not the one who will carry the glory on your name. I love the story of the softball player. Maybe gender has something to do with it, but maybe more so, in softball it is so rare to see something go up, up & outta here so the opposing team likely felt like they were in the moment of something a little bigger than the playoffs, and you know they will be remembered for that unselfish act. Word is right--this may have been something you would only see in women's sports, but I wouldn't have expected that reaction at all.
That's all for Bookchyck. Happy spring!
Hey Bookchyck,
Long time no see or hear girl! Great point about the moment being larger than the playoffs. It is a rare thing to hit one over da fence in softball...er...women's softball anyway.
You know that was always a dream of mine to hit one over. Had to let go of that dream a long time ago. So now I write and hope one day I'll hit a homerun in this whole writing dealio.
Actually, right now, I'd be happy with a single...on an overthrow...or even a walk. A walk would be acceptable.
Hey, did you know you made a rhyme bookchyck? IKEA is a good IDEA!
Later,
Word
Way to go Bookchyck, now Word will probably start writing poetry, with the rhyming!! Somebody better call up Dr. Seuss and tell him he's got some competition!!
Actually, it would be cool to do something like Shel Silverstein.
That is an amazing story. The kind that makes people everywhere proud.
Hi Stacia!
Thanks for stopping in! It is a great story!
Speaking of great stories - Your book Personal Demons sounds like a fun read.
For anyone who pops out here, click on my link to Church Lady's blog to find out more about Stacia!
Word
Post a Comment