Friday, December 7, 2007

Cawfee Talk

In the grand tradition of Church Lady - I bring you Cawfee Talk. Cawfee Talk is a place for all of you WIPs out there to stop in - have a cup-o-joe - and chat about whetver the heck I decide we will be talking about. Because, well, I am Word. And I always have the last one....word that is....the last word....I get it....not you. Humph.

Today's discussion: Laughing at inappropriate times. Ever done it? Word has. Let's discuss.

If there ever was a time not to laugh, this was it. The preist's monotone voice chanted, "Hail Mary. Full of grace...." over and over and over again. I stood in the back of the room packed with relatives I knew and relatives I didn't. Most were old. Except for in the back of the room. That's where I stood along with my sister, brothers, and cousins.

Grandma was in the casket. Mom and my aunt and uncle were kneeling before her - rosaries in hand. I'd never seen such anguish rest itself on my mother's face before. The tears I cried that day were for my mother first, grandma second.

I moved my thumb and forefinger over the next bead on my pink rosary. "Hail Mary. Full of grace...." A familiar sound trupeted over the prayer. Did somebody turn a television on someplace? I looked at my cousin. His angelic face turned a harsh shade of red. He began to frantically tug at his watch. Pushing buttons. Nope. The theme song to The Dukes of Hazard was going full throttle. He shoved his hand in his pocket to muffle the sound his watch was making. It didn't work.

I felt it then. The grin. It was coming. Oh no. My uncle gave my cousin "the look". Uncanny how my uncle's "look" was the exact male version of my mother's "look". It did me in. I couldn't stop. I was in full out laughter that would not stop.

"Hail Mary. ((snort laugh)) Full of Grace."

10 comments:

Mary Cunningham said...

Haw! Haw!! I can imagine your cousin's panic!

In the spirit of Catholicism, I was attending my ex-husband's grandmother's funeral. Although my dad and his entire family was Catholic, I wasn't raised in the church, therefore I didn't know much about the protocol. Christmas Eve midnight mass with my dad was my total exposure.

Since I had recently divorced Edna's grandson, I tried to sit inconspicuously in the back of the church. Since there were a number of pews open between me and the "family," I was a little surprised when my pew and the ones in front and back of me began filling up.

The service began and the mourners around me stood up, hymnals in hand and began to sing. It was then I realized that I was sitting smack dab in the middle of the choir! This was made even worse by the fact that I can't sing a lick!

Congrats, Word, on the new blog!

Chris Eldin said...

Church Lady is *not* amused.

Go back and do those Hail Marys.

Hahahahaha!


I'm so happy you have a blog!!!!!
Oh man, now I can't drink while I'm reading yours!

Word! Love it!!!

Word said...

Yay! I have visitors! Oh good gosh Mary! I can only imagine what the choir members must have thought.

"Oh, she must be a visiting soloist!!!"

That is a hoot and a half.

Church - woohoo! I can't believe I did this! BTW - you can drink whatever you like when you come visit - coffee is just the "suggested" beverage ;-)

Thanks for visiting!!

Word.

bookchyck said...

Hey Word--laughing at inappropriate times? I remember going to Easter Mass once and my sister kept pointing out all the goofy things people around us, including our brothers and father, were doing. I started to laugh and I tried to hold it in but the more I tried, the worse it got. I cracked up and had to leave until I got back under control. Yeah--I got "the look" that day from mom--she could hold "the look" for *hours* and boy, did she hate it when one of us drew attention to ourselves in church!

Thanks for the laugh! How well I can see the look of panic on the cousin's face...very vivid :-)

Word said...

Welcome Bookchyck!

I wonder if perhaps Miss Mary was singing in the choir that day!

Funny story! What is it about churches anyway? People like church lady hang out there you know. Gotta be careful!

Cheers and have a latte on me!

Word

WriterKat said...

Congratulations! I don't have time to read your blog but it looks great. I'll be back to get the whole schmorgasboard or how ever you spell that. Nice work!

WriterKat said...

Hi Word,

I just had a chance to read your blog. That story is hilarious. It reminds me of many stifled laughs during church.

Word said...

Hi Writerkat!

Glad you could pop out and visit. Nothing like a little cawfee and laughter...it's like buttah!

Great job on your own blog too! love it!

Word

Anonymous said...

Hey, they're allowing mussels to post now - I'll try again.

When we were kids, my friend would spend the night/weekend and of course we'd still have to go to Mass on Sunday.

My friend wasn't Catholic, so couldn't take Communion. (hey I don't make the stupid rules).
She got curious about what the wafers taste like, so we agreed I'd palm mine one Sunday and sneak it back to her.

Unfortunately, I somehow dropped the thing, right on the brand new, bright crimson carpet, in front of our front row pew.

My mom's incredulously angry, embarrassed face grew more and more furious as each person glanced down, then looked up right at us. The temperature must have dropped 30 degrees in there by the time Mass let out.

That was the only time I remember actually wishing it wouldn't end...

Word said...

Oh Lobster,

That is funny! You brave brave brave crustaceon!

I bet that was one loooong car ride home.

You know - so funny - your story reminds me of what we used to do before we were old enough to take communion.

My sister and I would mush bread down flat and then cut it in circles and pretend play church.

Mom pretended (I think) to get mad. She was sure that was sacriligious. Ah well, we turned out all right....sort of.